The Best Knives For Backpacking & Hiking
- The Morakniv Companion
- The Gerber StrongArm
- The ESEE Izula II
- Benchmade Bushcrafter
- Cold Steel SRK
When preparing for backpacking or hiking, a good quality knife is an essential piece of gear. Whether you need a tool for preparing food, making kindling, or cutting rope, a reliable knife can make all the difference. However, with so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your needs. In this guide, we’ll look at some of the best knives for backpacking and what to consider when selecting. Note: we’re discussing knives here and not multi-tools, which may be a better tool option for your backpacking trip. Most of these knives are not ultralight backpacking friendly either.
Best Knives For Backpacking
- The Morakniv Companion: This compact and lightweight knife is an excellent option for backpacking. Its 4.1-inch high carbon steel blade is durable and easy to sharpen, and the rubber handle provides a comfortable and secure grip. Plus, its affordable price makes it a great choice for budget-conscious backpackers. Moraknivs are exceptional for their price point.
- The Gerber StrongArm: The Gerber StrongArm is a versatile and durable knife that is perfect for backpacking. Its 4.8-inch stainless steel blade is full tang, which provides added strength and stability. The diamond-texture rubber handle provides a comfortable and secure grip, even in wet conditions.
- The ESEE Izula II: This compact knife is perfect for backpackers who want a lightweight and versatile tool. Its 2.63-inch blade is made with high-carbon steel, and the handle is made from durable and comfortable nylon. Also, the knife comes with various carry alternatives, including a belt clip and a neck chain.
- The Benchmade Bushcrafter: The Benchmade Bushcrafter is a high-end option for backpackers who want a top-of-the-line knife. Its 4.4-inch blade is constructed from premium stainless steel, and the handle is made from durable and comfortable G10. The knife comes with a variety of carry options, including a belt clip and a leather sheath.
- The Cold Steel SRK: This knife is an excellent option for backpackers looking for a versatile and durable tool. Its 6-inch blade is made from stainless steel and has a full tang, which provides added strength and stability. Being made with Kraton, the handle offers a durable and comfortable grip.
When choosing a knife for backpacking, it’s important to consider the weight, blade length, and material of the knife. A lightweight and compact knife is the best choice for backpacking, as it won’t weigh you down or take up too much space in your pack. Additionally, a knife with a high-quality blade and durable handle will last longer and perform better in the field. Remember also to be aware of the laws and regulations of the places you plan to hike and take the appropriate measures. The knife-related rules can vary by state and county, so check if your chosen backpacking knife is legal to have with you on your trip. Here is a helpful resource from KnifeUp.
A reliable and durable knife is an important tool for any backpacker. With the wide range of options available, you’re sure to find a knife that meets your needs and preferences. Whether you’re a budget-conscious backpacker or looking for a high-end option, the knives mentioned above are some of the best available options.
Questions? Send us a message on our contact page and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
Do you know what to do if you’re lost in the woods? Here’s a blog post from Zach Graft with some basic tips to do if you’re lost in the woods.